Google Search Plus Your World And SEO
3 min readSEO
Google has recently announced the release of a new set of features based around its Google + social network. Basically the changes revolve around a closer integration of Google + and the search results. See below for some of the main points:
- Search Plus Your World is basically taking the "social search" idea to the next level – further integrating social news and views from your social networks into the search results.
- The social search idea has been on Google since 2009, when the integration of Twitter messages was put in place. This worked quite successfully for a while, but recently the scheme has fallen out of favour with the two sites. Twitter started not to give Google a full reign over their data, and Google pulled the scheme.
- Google Plus Your World is an attempt at a more comprehensive social search. This includes personal search, where Google + data (photos, posts, etc...) is shown for certain searches alongside normal Google results. This data from Google +, either your data or data shared specifically with you, will only be seen by you.
- Profiles in Search provides Google + profiles in your search results for people who you might be interested in, or who you have searched on, or who are close to you.
- People and Pages - these help you find people profiles and Google+ pages related to a specific topic or area of interest, and enable you to follow them with just a few clicks. Because behind most every query is a community.
- How Search Plus Your World can be used, Example 1 – Say you're looking to go on holiday. You could just search the web, but how much more would it enrich your search if you could see photos and posts from friends on their holidays recently (posted on Google + and Picasa). You'll find links shared by your friends, such as activities, restaurants and other things they enjoyed on their trip.
- How Search Plus Your World can be used, Example 2 - Every day, there are hundreds of millions of searches for people. Sometimes, it's hard to find the person you're looking for. Once you do find him or her, there's no quick way for you to actually interact. Now, the idea goes, you'll have meaningful ways to connect with people instantly, right from the search results. Now, typing just the first few letters of your friend's name brings up a personalized profile prediction in auto complete. Selecting a predicted profile takes you to a results page for your friend, which includes information from their Google+ profile and relevant web results that may be related to them.
- Google have stated that security is important to them in Google Plus Your World. Because of the fact that personal data is being displayed in the search results, Google has encrypted the search results for all signed in users, giving the same level of security that Gmail has. SEOs were left non-plussed when this security feature came in, as it means the keyword typed into Google by a searcher, who then goes on to your website, is shown as "not displayed" in analytics software, meaning less valuable data from which to make decisions from. Now we have seen why this change was made.
- Users in the UK will not see the Plus Your World changes yet, as they are only available in the US (.com) so far, but will be rolled out to .co.uk soon.